Monday 8 February 2010

Better Version of the Story

The Birds, The Beasts and the Bat

There was once a terrible war between the birds and the beasts. For a long time it was doubtful which would win.

The bat said, "I am not a bird or a beast, so I shall fight for neither side."

At last the beasts seemed to be gaining the victory. The bat flew to them and said, "I am a beast. Look at my body and you will see that I am. I shall fight on your side."

New flocks of birds came to help thier relatives, and soon the battle turned against the beasts.

Then the bat skulked over to the other side. "I am a bird," said he. "I can prove it by my wings," and he fought with the birds.

At last the war was over. The bat was hated by the beasts and the birds. He was obliged to slink off and hide in dark places during the day, never showing his face until dusk.

(from Fifty Famous Fables, by Lida Brown McMurry at www.rickwalton.com/folktale/50fabl22.htm)

I like this version better as it is clearer what the bat is doing wrong making the moral more obvious to children)

No comments:

Post a Comment